2016 Doctor of Philosophy in Zoology: Specialization in Marine Biology
University of Hawai‘i Mānoa Advisor: Dr. Paul Jokiel
Thesis: The interactive effects of ocean acidification and local physical stressors on Hawaiian reef corals
2012 Bachelor of Science of Marine Biology University of Hawai‘i Mānoa
2010 Environmental Science & Policy Coursework University of South Florida
2016 - present Postdoctoral Researcher. Laboratory of Robert Toonen.
Hawaiʻi Institute of Marine Biology, University of Hawai‘i Mānoa
9. Rodgers KS, KD Bahr, PL Jokiel, and A Richards Dona (2017). Patterns of bleaching and mortality following widespread warming events in 2014 and 2015 at the Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, Hawai‘i. PeerJ. 5:e3355 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.3355
8. Page HN, Andersson AA, Jokiel PL, Rodgers KS, Yeakel K, Lebrato M, Davidson C, DʻAngelo SD, and Bahr KD. (2016) Differential modification of seawater carbonate chemistry by major coral reef benthic communities. Coral Reefs. DOI: 10.1007/s00338-016-1490-4
7. Bahr KD, PL Jokiel, and KS Rodgers (2016). Seasonal and annual growth rates of the Hawaiian reef coral, Montipora capitata, under present and future climate change scenarios. ICES Journal of Marine Science Special Issue: Ocean Acidification.
6. Bahr KD, PL Jokiel, and KS Rodgers. (2016). Influence of solar irradiance on underwater temperature recorded by temperature loggers on coral reefs. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods. DOI: 10.1002/lom3.10093
5. Bahr KD, KS Rodgers, and PL Jokiel. (2016). Relative sensitivity of five Hawaiian coral species to high temperature under high-pCO2 conditions. Coral Reefs. DOI:10.007/00338-016-1405-4
4. Bahr KD, KS Rodgers, and PL Jokiel. (2015). The 2014 coral bleaching and freshwater flood events in Kāneʻohe Bay, Hawaiʻi. Peer J 3:e1136 https://dx.doi.org/10.7717/peerj.1136
3. Bahr KD, PL Jokiel, and R Toonen. (2015). The unnatural history of Kāne‘ohe Bay: Coral reef resilience in the face of centuries of anthropogenic impacts. PeerJ 3:e950; DOI 10.7717/peerj.950. Invited Review.
2. Bahr KD, KS Rodgers, and PL Jokiel. (2015). Recent freshwater reef kill event in Kāne‘ohe Bay, Hawai‘i. International Society for Reef Studies, Reef Encounter. 30(1): 42-43
1. Jokiel PL, KD Bahr, and KS Rodgers. (2014). Low-cost, high-flow mesocosm system for simulating ocean acidification with CO2. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods. 12: 313-322
SUBMITTED AND IN PREPARATION
Bahr KD, KS Rodgers, and PL Jokiel. (in review). Coral bleaching impacts on the resiliency of Kāneʻohe Bay, HI. Frontiers Research Topic: The Future of Coral Reefs Subject to Rapid Climate Change: Lessons from Natural Extreme Environments.
RESEARCH GRANTS, SCHOLARSHIPS AND AWARDS
2017 NOAA Marine Education and Training Mini Grant Program
Training next-gen managers in identifying environmental drivers of resilience
on coral reefs after climate change-ˇinduced stress in Hawaii. Co-PI
2017 Hawaii Community Foundation Community Restoration
2017 Research Grant, PI, Primary Author. US Geological Survey.
2016 Nominated Scholar and Recipient, Student Excellence in Research Award,
University of Hawaiʻi
2016 Travel Award, International Coral Reef Symposium
2015 Research Grant, Co-PI, Primary Author. Biological Oceanography, NSF
2014, 2015 Research Grant, Col. W.E. Lord & S.L. Lord Endowed Scholarship
2015 Research Grant, PI. University of Hawaiʻi Opportunity Grant
2015 Research Grant, PI. Lerner Gray American Museum of Natural History
2015 Research Grant, PI. Postl Scholarship, University of Hawaiʻi
2013, 2014 Research Grant, PI. Edmondson Research Fund, University of Hawaiʻi
2013 Travel Award, Western Society of Naturalists
2013 Research Grant, PI. UH Mānoa Graduate Student Organization
2013 Best Graduate Poster, Tester Symposium, University of Hawaiʻi
2012 Honorable Mention Best Undergraduate Poster, University of Hawaiʻi
2007 Scholarship, Leading Lady Foundation
2017 Instructor. Department of Biology, University of Hawaiʻi Mānoa.
Field Problems in Marine Biology, 4 week Field Course
at the Hawaiʻi Institute of Marine Biology.
2012 – 2014 Teaching Assistant. Dept. of Biology, University of Hawai‘i Mānoa
- Marine Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (BIOL 301L), 1 semester
- Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (BIOL 265L), 2 semesters
- Cell and Molecular Biology (BIOL 275L), 1 semester
- Field Problems in Marine Biology, Field Course (BIOL 403), 2 semesters
2013 Teaching Assistant. University of California Santa Barbara
- Marine GIS Short Course
2010 – 2012 Marine Science Educator. The Living Art Marine Center. Honolulu, HI
- Created curriculum for Pre k -12 grade levels and assisted in marine educational lectures and outreach activities.
2016 Session Chairperson.
- Coral Bleaching: Monitoring, management responses and resilience. International Coral Reef Symposium 2016, Honolulu HI
2016 Session Co-Organizer.
- Multiple stressors on coral reefs to advance development in effective management and policy responses. International Coral Reef Symposium 2016, Honolulu HI
2016 Organizing Committee.
- Paul Jokiel Memorial Session, International Coral Reef Symposium 2016, Honolulu HI
2017 Distinguished Scientist. Santa Monica College Lecture Series. Talk title: How humans shape coral reefs. Available for download at iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/reefs-at-risk-how-humans-shape-coral-reefs/id1227773220?i=1000385022324&mt=2
2016 Guest Scientist. Hawaiian Airlines Hana Hou. The Far Atolls. http://hanahou.us/issues/19.4/feat-nw-hawn-islands.html
2016 Guest Blog Post. Early Career Climate Forum. Corals under climate change: Hawaiʻi’s winners and losers: https://www.eccforum.org/coralsandclimate
2015 Interview. University of Hawaiʻi, Ieva Bytautaite. Hawaiʻi’s Coral Reefs: The Dangers of coral bleaching and its effects on Hawaiʻi’s corals reefs. http://www.hoaoahu.com/coralreefs
2014 Interview. Seawords, University of Hawaiʻi, Marine Option Program. Ocean Acidification: as adverse as originally thought? https://issuu.com/seawords/docs/december_2014
2012 Interview. EPSCoR Hawai‘i CyberTeam. Climate Change: Bleaching, Ocean Acidification, Calcification, and Growth. YouTube video